You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Fri Sep 23 12:56:17 AEST 2011

FT Kilburn Netball Club Blog

DATE 24/02/2011

Round 5 - Forestry Tasmania Kilburn Vs TCY Northern Saints & Round 6 Forestry Tasmania Kilburn Vs Burnie Tigers: Saturday 12 and 19 March, Aurora Sports Stadium, Hobart

Forestry Tasmania Kilburn and TCY Northern Saints began their 19 and Under match in the heat of the afternoon with brilliant sunlight streaming in to Aurora Sports Stadium 2. The Saints took off at a blistering pace with their tight defence restricting the FTK attack end to just two goals in the first quarter. In the second quarter Kilburn came out determined to improve their score line. Larissa Dart came on to centre and worked well with Hannah Blackley at Goal Attack to create more movement in the attack end, however Saints keeper Victoria Briscoe maintained her tight defence. After the half time break the game dropped in pace. Saints centre Jade Woolnough took several timely intercepts to turn the ball over and allow them to build a 19 goal lead by ¾ time. In the final quarter FTK’ s defensive pair of Leonie Smith and Amy Lawrence worked hard to effectively reduce the Saints’ scoring rate but Celia Groenwagan and Clare McKimmie continued to keep the scoreboard ticking over for Saints. TCY Northern Saints took out the match 40 to Forestry Tasmania Kilburn’s 19. 
Forestry Tasmania Kilburn and TCY Northern Saints looked relatively evenly matched as the first quarter of their round five Open division match got underway. Lilli Hyatt was shooting well for Kilburn and Steffi Grenda was the standout in the Saints defence. An injury time called by Grenda interrupted the momentum of the game and on recommencement the Saints began to build a lead. By half time the Saints had worked their lead out to 27 goals, thanks to the shooting of Lauren Muralt and Emma Webb. The third quarter saw both teams become undisciplined at times however Saints continued to assert their dominance on the court. Danni Pickett shot beautifully in the final quarter to contribute to their 60 goal win and take out the player of the match award.
The score line tells its own story for this Open division match with Lexus Arrows showing their dominance over Forestry Tasmania Kilburn in round six of the Aurora Netball League.  FTK tried hard but could not match the Arrows firepower. Arrows used all four shooters and they all shot well with their percentages up in the high 80’s, while their centre court moved the ball down court with both speed and precision.  Arrows defenderswere also on top of their game and each combination worked well and effectively, the pressure applied to the FTK shooters was relentless and they rebounded strongly and turned the ball back repeatedly. Jade Polanowski and Chloe Bennett tried hard for Kilburn and were still working hard at the final whistle.
The first quarter of the 19 and Under match was a very even affair between Arrows and FTK , with both teams shooting well and making the most of their opportunities. Half way through the quarter Gabby Moult, goal attack for Arrows went down with a knee injury and was replaced by Katharine Luffman. The change of goalie however didn’t disrupt the Arrows game plan and they managed to keep their game on track and held a slender two-goal lead at the first break.   The Arrows held a well-earned 12-goal lead at half time. In the third quarter, Arrows made a host of changes. FTK left their line-up unchanged and continued to work with their starting seven. Arrows continued their dominance in the last quarter and went on to win by 28 goals.

Melinda, Vice President.


Round 1 - Forestry Tasmania Kilburn Vs Optomeyes Devon & Round 2 Forestry Tasmania Kilburn Vs Burnie Tigers: Saturday 19 February, Aurora Sports Stadium, Hobart

Nerves were showing as several players in the 19 and Under match between Forestry Tasmania Kilburn and Optomeyes Devon made their Aurora League Debut. The start was a bit scrappy before players found their rhythm and settled in to the game. Inaccurate passing cost both teams the ball at times. Devon piled on the goals in the second quarter, leading by 20 goals at the half time break. In the second half of the game shooter Hannah Blackley increased her score rate as FTK steadied and managed to score at the same rate as Devon during the third quarter. In the final quarter, centres Larissa Dart and Rebecca Hyland were a good match up, both showing determination and some speed left in the legs. Devon were the winners, 46 goals to 19. 
In the Open match, Forestry Tasmania Kilburn and Optomeyes Devon got off to a fairly even start. The teams were going goal for goal as Devon made good use of long passes to reach their target in the goal circle. Rhiannon Wray used her height to her advantage to pull in these passes and followed up with accurate shooting. Sarah McCauley was moving well in to goal circle for FTK, teaming up well with Goal Attack Kate Badenach. The FT Kilburn goalies shot at 100% accuracy for the first quarter. In the second quarter the FTK defence was tight, making Devon work hard to get shorter passes through to their goalies. 19 and Under players Nia Hardy and Leonie Smith came on in the third quarter for FTK. This increased the movement through the centre third and improved the flow of the ball from their defence end. Devon continued to outscore FTK in the final quarter of the match, finish up with 55 to Kilburn’s 30.
Forestry Tasmania Kilburn and the Burnie Tigers started their second round match enthusiastically in the 19 and Under division. In the second quarter FTK goalie Nia Hardy stepped up her pace and added several goals to the team’s score. In the second half of the match Burnie’s persistent defence continued to deny FTK scoring opportunities. FTK’s Ellie Fielding and Burnie’s Danielle Braken played out a physical battle on the wing. Final scores saw Burnie take out the match by 18 goals.
The Burnie Tigers started brilliantly in their Open division game against Forestry Tasmania Kilburn by getting the first six goals on the score board. FTK steadied and scored twice but Burnie continued their run. FTK 19's player Nia Hardy was brought in to the attack at the start of the second quarter and her accuracy helped lift the Kilburn side. The final score was Burnie 72 to FTK 24.
Melinda, Vice President.