You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Mon Jan 07 12:28:59 AEDT 2013

We provide a range of payments and services that help you to look after your children’s education and health care, and any family issues that may pop up along the way.

Payments to help families

We provide payments to help you with expenses for raising children, looking after health issues and managing your finances.

Our online estimator helps you decide payment options for your family. You can also see how much Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or Child Care Rebate you may be able to get.

Start the online

Birth and adoption

If you have just had a baby or recently adopted a child Baby Bonus, paid in 13 fortnightly instalments, is available to eligible families following birth or adoption.

The Paid Parental Leave scheme provides financial support to eligible working parents when they take time off work to care for a newborn or recently adopted child. There are two payments available under the scheme:

Parental Leave Pay and Baby Bonus cannot be paid for the same child. If you think you are eligible for both, you can choose which payment is the best financial decision for your family by using the Paid Parental Leave Comparison Estimator.

On 1 July 2012, Maternity Immunisation Allowance and immunisation requirements changed. Read more about these changes.

Raising children

Payments such as Family Tax Benefit and Parenting Payment can help you with the costs of raising children. You may be eligible if you are a carer of a child, whether it’s your birth, grand, foster, or adopted child.

If you are 19 years of age or under, receive Parenting Payment and live in one of 10 selected Local Government Areas we will be contacting you as part of Helping Young Parents.

From 1 January 2013, the age for which Family Tax Benefit Part A can be paid for young people is changing. Read more about these changes.

Child care support

To assist you with the cost of using child care services there is:

  • Child Care Benefit which helps cover long day care, family day care, occasional day care, outside school hour care, vacation care, pre-school, and kindergarten child care
  • Child Care Rebate which covers 50 percent of out-of-pocket child-care expenses, up to a maximum amount per child per year, in addition to the Child Care Benefit.
  • Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance which can help you meet the cost of approved child care by paying some of the 'gap fee' not covered by Child Care Benefit for the hours of care you need for approved activities such as job search, work, study or training

To help with the costs of caring for children who are orphans or unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances, the Double Orphan Pension is available.

Payments to help with education

If eligible, you can claim Family Tax Benefit Part A for your children who are in study,  up to the end of the calendar year in which they turn 19.

There are payments to help you with expenses relating to your children’s education. For example, Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are studying full time, undertaking a full-time Australian apprenticeship or training, looking for work or sick.

The Education Entry Payment is available if you receive specified income support payments to assist with the cost of study.

The Schoolkids Bonus can help you with education costs. It is paid to eligible families in two instalments, in January and July each year.

Help with health care

We provide financial support to help families with the cost of health care. The Youth Disability Supplement provides additional financial support to young people with a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability who receive certain income support payments.

The Carer Adjustment Payment is a one-off payment that helps families deal with the increased care needs of a child aged six years or younger who has had a sudden and severe illness or accident.

Payments such as Rent Assistance and the Telephone Allowance can also assist if you are on income support to manage household expenses.