You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Mon Jan 07 12:29:06 AEDT 2013

There are payments and services available to you if you are in severe financial hardship, recovering from a disaster, or in need of special assistance.

Payments to help you in a crisis

You may be able to get paid an income support payment immediately, even if you are not already receiving a Centrelink payment. The type of payment or assistance that you may be able to get will depend on your individual circumstances. If you already receive a Centrelink payment, you may be able to receive an advance lump-sum payment from your existing income support payment.

Crisis Payment is a one-off payment if you are experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances.

Special Benefit helps if you are in severe financial hardship because of reasons outside your control and you cannot receive any other income support payment or benefit.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a payment that helps you deal with the increased care needs of a child aged under seven years who has had a sudden accident.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is paid annually to help you with the costs of caring for a child with a disability.

You or immediate family members can establish a Special Disability Trust to plan for the future care and accommodation needs of a person with a severe disability.

The Pension Loans Scheme can help you if your capital is tied up in assets and you need more income to live on. You can also apply for early release of your superannuation on specific compassionate grounds or if you are in severe financial hardship.

Other support

Our social workers can help you during difficult times by providing confidential counselling, support and information.

Call us between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Friday on 131 794 to speak directly to a social worker. You can also make an appointment to see a social worker at your local Service Centre.

Community Engagement Officers assist people of all ages to get financial help and other services, if they are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless.

There is also the Financial Information Service—a free, confidential service that provides education and information on financial issues to all Australians.