You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Thu Feb 13 10:50:38 AEDT 2014

Our Latest News

Fire advice for the February long weekend


Campers and bushwalkers are urged to be very careful with any campfires and to observe additional fire restrictions that may apply in parks and reserves as we head into a long weekend at the peak of the fire season.More

Maria Island ferry operator sought


The Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) is calling for expressions of interest for a single passenger ferry operator for Maria Island National Park.More

DVDs celebrate the Arthur-Pieman


A suite of three DVDs produced by the Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) promotes the sustainable use of the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area, its rich Aboriginal heritage and the passion of the people who live and work there.More

Business Partnerships

Operating a business on reserved land

The Commercial Visitor Services (CVS) Unit provides information on obtaining a licence or a lease for conducting commercial activities on reserved land.

The CVS licensing system was introduced in 2000 at the request of and after extensive consultation with Tasmania’s tourism industry

The CVS system is managed by the Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) and is designed to provide a "one stop shop" approach for persons wishing to conduct tourism based commercial operations in areas managed by one or more of the following authorities:

  • PWS;
  • Crown Land Services,
  • Forestry Tasmania; or
  • Wellington Park Management Trust.

Why are licenses required?

The CVS licensing system provides:

  • A mechanism for measuring and directing the use of crown land with the prime aim of ensuring these activities do not compromise conservation values;
  • A set of minimum standards of public safety and public liability cover;
  • Security of access for CVS contract holders; and
  • Operators with the opportunity to inform their customers of conservation values and the importance of conservation.

What you need to do

An application form and further information in relation to the approval process can be obtained by contacting or on (03) 6165 4247 to discuss your proposal. 

Please note that a non refundable  application fee of $150.00 is payable upon application.

Business Trading Name

When conducting business in Tasmania you must register the trading name in Tasmania.

The office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading, which is the organisation in Tasmania responsible for the registration of trading names, advise that:

  • Trading name registration is compulsory in every state and territory in which the business operates; and 
  • When conducting a tour in Tasmania an operator is considered to be offering a service to Tasmania and/or Tasmanians and is therefore required to register the trading name in Tasmania.

It is up to individual operators which entity they choose to nominate for the purpose of obtaining a CVS licence. However, the PWS have a responsibility to ensure that the Crown is entering into a contract with a legal entity that complies with Tasmanian legislation.

The PWS is will only enter into a contract with a company, a individual or a business with a trading name that is registered in Tasmania.

Is it a Licence or a Lease?

If you are applying for a standard business licence, you will (subject to approval) be issued with a 5-year contract. The only ongoing fee is an annual licence administration fee of $330 (GST inclusive).

Please note that in some cases an assessment may be required if the activity you propose is new or has the potential for significant environmental impact.

However if your business is seeking exclusive use (licence) or occupation (lease) of crown land or requires special monitoring or infrastructure, could you please contact our CVS staff who will be able to provide you with further information on the application and assessment process.

Please note that in such cases, the licence or lease and the return to Government is negotiated on a case by case basis by the relevant management authority.

If your business is providing a community based rather than a tourism based service, (eg a post office, library) you will also need to contact our CVS staff who be able to explain the approval process to you.

Prior to Issuing a Licence

As you will be required to develop an Operations Manual prior to being granted a licence, we would suggest that you review this outline (PDF 49 Kb) to find out about the general requirements of this document.

If your business will provide commercial bushwalking tours on specific tracks, you will need to review the following documents to determine the classification of the track and the maximum party size and client to guide ratio.


Please note that prior to the issue of a contract, you will also need to provide evidence that you hold:

  • Public liability insurance cover to the value of $10 million; and
  • Any other relevant certificates and licenses (eg Marine and Safety Tasmania/ Transport) required, which will be dependant on the type of your operation.

After the Licence has been Issued

While your licence will have a number of conditions that relate to your specific business or activity, you will also be required to obtain accreditation with the Tourism Industry Council of Tasmania within 12 months from the commencement date of your licence.

The Tourism Industry Council of Tasmania web site will provide you with further information in relation to this process.