You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Oct 22 13:31:31 AEDT 2014



Latrobe Council

Food Safety & Licencing


Public and environmental health is about the monitoring and promotion of health through food safety, nutrition regulation, communicable disease prevention and oontrol, immunisation programs, radiation regulation, tobacco control, pharmaceutical services (drugs and poisons) and environmental health.


Reticulated water which is supplied to many residents in Latrobe Municipality is provided by Cradle Mountain Water Corporation from treatment plants located at Forth.  The Corporation has a Water Quality Policy which aims to comply with Tasmanian Drinking Water guidelines issued by the Director of Public Health under the Public Health Act, 1997. 

For further information in relation to reticulated water please visit Cradle Mountain Water's website;


The safety and quality of food is regulated and monitored by the Department of Health and Human Services in conjunction with local councils.  Under the requirements of the Tasmanian Food Act 2003, food premises are required to be registered by their respective Local Government Authority.

The handling and selling of food is categorised from very low risk, such as selling pre-packaged food in canteens to higher risk activities such as food preparation in restaurants. Council is required to regularly inspect these premises to ensure that they comply with the Australian Food Safety Standards and the Tasmanian Food Act 2003.

Temporary food businesses are required to register with Council.  Temporary food premises includes all food vans, trailers, food stalls, markets, fairs and the like where food for human consumption is prepared and/or sold.  These businesses do not operate on a permanent basis.  

Notification of a Food Business                                                   Australian Food Safety Standards

Application for Registration/Renewal of a Food Business

Application for Temporary Food Business

Temp Food Stall Guidelines

Roadside Vendor Application(406 kb)


Food safety training is held on a regular basis at Latrobe Council. please fill in the form below and lodge with Council.

Food Safety Handling Registration(216 kb) 


If a private water supply is being used for human consumption for commercial purposes or in any place that is used for health, educational, imprisonment or detention purposes it must be registered.  Applications can be made to Council for a Private Water Supply. 

Application for a Private Water Supply


The owner of any premises may apply to Council for the registration of any regulated system.  A regulated system includes an air-handling system, cooling tower, warm-water system, humidifying system or any other system or process that may involve the risk of legionnaire's disease.  The system owner must ensure that it is operated and maintained in a manner that is does not pose a threat to public health. 

Registration of a Regulated System


The Public Health Act 1997 regulates the licensing, operation, use and management of places which are used as a Place of Assembly.  This means that a person must obtain a licence to lawfully use or lease a place as a Place of Assembly.

Guidelines set out health and safety requirements for places of assembly and other premises where the public congregates for special events, and are issued by the Director of Public Health under s.184 of the Act.  Council licences and inspects Places of Assembly to ensure compliance with the guidelines.

Application for a Place of Assembly   Place of Assembly Guidelines


Public Health Risk Activities include acupuncture, tattooing and ear, nose and body piercing.  People who carry out these activities and the premises where it is occurring are required to be licensed with Council.  Audits/inspections are conducted and operational procedures and practices are assessed against the relevant legislation and guidelines.

Application for a Public Health Risk Activity (piercing and tattooing)

Public Health Risk Activity Guidelines


There are a number of people within the community who for various reasons use 'sharps' such as needles, in their daily lives.  Latrobe Council offers a free sharps container exchange and disposal service.  Used sharps containers may be brought to the Council Office for exchange.

2009/2010 Health Fees

Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Contact Us

Council Address
PO Box 63
170 Gilbert Street
Latrobe Tasmania 7307
Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8.00am - 4.30pm
Emergency After Hours: 03 6426 2653