Water Licences

Licensing of water diversions and issuing water allocations are essential ingredients for good water management. In Tasmania, before water can be taken from a river or stream or stored in a farm dam for commercial purposes, a licence must be obtained from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment.

Once a person has established a water allocation under the Water Management Act 1999, an allocation may be attached to the licence. A water allocation can be obtained by either establishing a right to take water from the stream at the licence location, or by transferring water from another licence.

Conditions can be placed on both the water licence and/or allocation. Conditions are included to enable the water resource to be sustainably managed and to protect both water quality and environmental needs of waterways.

In this Topic

Search for Water Entitlement and Dam Permit Data via WIST (Water Information System of Tasmania).

For water licence application or transfer queries, please contact:

  Anna Henricks
  Senior Administration Officer (Permits & Licensing)
  1 Franklin Wharf HOBART TAS 7000
  Phone: 03 6165 3019
  Email: Anna.Henricks@dpipwe.tas.gov.au

For further information please contact Section Head, Water and Dam Administration

  Bill Shackcloth
  Section Head, Water and Dam Administration
  1 Franklin Wharf
  GPO Box 44
  Phone: 03 6165 3001
  Email: Bill.Shackcloth@dpipwe.tas.gov.au