You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 14:57:54 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


When can you enrol your child in Kindergarten?

  • You can enrol your child in Kindergarten if they are four years old by the first of January.

When must your child start school?

  • If your child is at least five years of age on the first of January, you must enrol them in their local school or provide them with approved home education.
  • For information on home education please contact the Tasmanian Home Education Advisory Council on (03) 6334 5381.

Can you choose which school to send your child?

  • You are encouraged to send your child to the local school; however, you are able to apply to enrol your child in a school elsewhere. For more information contact the school or your Learning Service.

What if you think your child should start school earlier?

  • A child may be eligible to apply for early enrolment if they are classified as gifted or if they have moved from interstate.
  • If you are seeking early entry to Kindergarten for your child, talk to the principal of your local school about this by the end of August in the year prior to enrolment.
  • If you have moved from interstate and wish your child to be considered for early entry, you also need to contact the principal of the school to discuss this.

What if you think your child is not ready to start school?

  • Primary schools and child and family centres offer early learning programmes for children aged Birth to 5 – these are important for your child’s learning and development.
  • Early Childhood Intervention Services (ECIS) supports families with children aged Birth to 5 who have special needs.
  • Discuss these with the principal at your local school or nearest Learning Service.

How do you enrol your child in school?

  • Contact the office at your local school.
  • If you are enrolling your child for the first time you need to provide:
    • your child’s birth certificate (or extract of birth)
    • immunisation history.
  • If your child is moving schools you may need to provide proof of your residential address.
  • If you are a non-Australian resident you need to provide the school with birth certificates for both you and your child. You must also provide proof of Australian citizenship or permanent residency.

Tasmanian eSchool

  • Students from Kindergarten to Year 10 may be eligible for registration in the Tasmanian eSchool due to:
    • isolation
    • medical
    • pregnancy
    • travel
    • or other exceptional circumstances.

Where can I get more information?

  • Contact your local school with any questions about your child’s enrolment.
  • Visit the Department of Education website:


Download the Print version of brochure

 Enrolment in Tasmanian Government Schools

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.