You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 14:58:09 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Did you know?

When your child goes to a Tasmanian Government school you will find that there are a number of costs. These include levies, school uniforms, excursions and other costs associated with your child’s educational programme.

If you are eligible, there are a number of financial assistance schemes available to assist you to cover costs.

Where to start

The levy you pay at the beginning of each year contributes to the costs of your child’s education programme, and includes:

  • Items your child uses during the school year such as learning materials and stationery.
  • Services, such as school excursions, attending performances and school camps, that are part of your child’s educational programme.

Financial assistance

  • Families on low incomes who satisfy the eligibility conditions of the Student Assistance Scheme (STAS) will not be required to pay school levies.  Grandparents raising grandchildren may also be eligible for STAS.
  • Families who do not qualify for STAS, but who may experience financial hardship should talk to the school about payment arrangements and other financial assistance which may help.
  • School staff understand that financial matters are highly sensitive, so your questions will remain completely confidential.
  • These matters will also be dealt with directly with you and not through your child.
  • Your child’s participation in learning will not be affected.

Levies when transferring to a new school

  • If your child is transferring to a new school during the school year, you will need to find out from both schools what their policies are for refunds and payments of levies on transfer.

Other fees

  • In some subjects there may be an option of extending a project or task at an additional cost.  This contribution will only need to be paid if your child chooses to take up the opportunity.
  • Other charges for students may apply to optional activities such as school social events, extra music tuition, and recreational or holiday trips.

Centrelink student allowances

  • There are several student allowances available through Centrelink, subject to certain eligibility criteria.

Where can I get more information?

  • Talk to the school business manager or principal at your child’s school.
  • Contact the Department of Education, Finance and Business Services on 1800 816 057.
  • For information on Centrelink assistance programs, contact Centrelink’s Youth and Student Services on 13 24 90 or visit:
  • Visit the Department of Education website at:


Download the Print version of brochure

 Fees and Levies in Tasmanian Government Schools

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.