You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 14:59:21 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Did you know?

Immunising your child provides effective protection against preventable sickness and disease.

Many childhood vaccines are available free of charge to children of eligible ages.

Some vaccinations are provided to your child on school premises by a doctor or health professional. These will be arranged by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Others will be given by a doctor or health professional and are your responsibility as a parent to arrange.

School and immunisation

  • When you fill out your child’s school enrolment form, you will be asked whether your child has received particular vaccinations.
  • You may be asked to provide evidence.  This is usually in your child’s health record book or you can provide a letter from a doctor or local council.
  • The Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) keeps a record of immunisations given to children under the age of seven years.
  • Statements of your child’s immunisation history can be requested from ACIR by phoning 1800 653 809 or go to: 
  • If proof is not available, a statutory declaration form can be obtained from your school or from the DHHS.
  • The dates for immunisations at your child’s school will be communicated to parents. You will receive a consent form for your child to have the immunisation. It is very important that you read and fill out this form correctly and return it by the due date.

What if there is an outbreak of infectious disease?

  • If your child is not immunised, you may be asked to keep your child at home if there is an outbreak of disease that is infectious, contagious or harmful to others.
  • If your child is immunised, your school will give you advice from the public health authority about whether attending school during an outbreak is safe.
  • Always follow the advice from your school as it is based on expert medical advice from the DHHS.

Infectious diseases

  • The DHHS must be contacted if your child ever contracts one of the following infectious diseases:
    • Measles
    • Meningococcal disease
    • Mumps
    • Whooping Cough
    • German Measles
    • Tuberculosis.
  • The Department of Health and Human Services Public and Environmental Health Services can be contacted on 1800 671 738.

Where to go for more information:

  • your school or child care facility
  • your local council
  • your family doctor or health nurse
  • the Department of Health and Human Services on 1800 671 738
  • visit the Department of Education website:
  • visit the National Immunisation Program Schedule:


Download the Print version of brochure

 Immunisation in Tasmanian Government Schools

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.