You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 15:00:17 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Did you know?

If your child requires medication while they are at school, you must meet with your child’s teacher and/or principal to ensure that the school staff are clearly advised on how to give your child their medicine.

Medication should only be prescribed during school hours when absolutely necessary.

Self-administration of some medication (eg ventolin, EpiPens and insulin) may be authorised by a parent and/or a doctor.

You must tell the school and provide permission, for any non-prescribed (e.g. panadol) or prescribed medication taken by your child at school.

The school will ask you to…

  • Complete a written request to the school to administer the medication. You can download this form from the department’s website at:
  • Provide signed authorisation from your medical practitioner/pharmacist or nurse giving specific instructions for the administration of the medication.
  • Transfer the medication safely to the school.
  • Provide the medication in the originally prescribed containers only.
  • Help prepare a Medical Action Plan for your child if ongoing medication is required.

How you can help

  • Ask your doctor to prescribe medication doses out of school hours where possible.
  • Ensure that regular scripts are filled on time and the school doesn’t run out of medication.
  • If you think your child may need prescription medications download the form from  and take it with you to the doctor’s appointment.

What your school will do

  • An official register for the administration of medication to students will be maintained by your school.
  • Schools must only accept prescribed medication provided in the dispensed, labelled container, or the original over-the-counter packaging for non-prescribed medication.
  • Two people must be present when any medication is administered.
  • All medication will be kept under lock and key, with the exception of EpiPens which may be kept in a first aid kit or in close proximity to a student for whom an EpiPen has been prescribed.  Ventolin inhalers may be carried by the student.
  • Training will be provided for all first aid qualified staff in schools, and additional training for staff where required for the administration of certain medication such as EpiPens.

Where can I get more information?


Download the Print version of brochure

 Medication in Tasmanian Government Schools

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.