You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 15:01:28 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Did you know?

We know that happy and healthy young people are better equipped to learn and thrive.

In Tasmanian Government schools there are professional staff that support the emotional wellbeing of students.

Student support staff including support teachers, school psychologists, speech and language pathologists, social workers and chaplains can help you and your child to resolve problems and refer you to other professional help when required.

Where to start

  • If you have any concerns about your child’s development or wellbeing, first talk to their teacher or the principal.

What kind of support is available?

  • Support teachers – are skilled teachers who support the school and classroom teacher to improve outcomes for students with disability and/or additional needs.
  • School psychologists – are registered psychologists. They work with students, staff and parents towards the best outcomes for students’ educational achievement and personal wellbeing through assessments, counselling and case management. They offer support for concerns such as under-achievement, poor social coping skills, anxiety, depression, grief and loss and trauma impact.
  • Speech and language pathologists – are qualified and skilled in assessing, diagnosing and managing speech, language and feeding disorders and difficulties. They work with students, parents, teachers and support staff to help students overcome development delays or disorders, which affect their ability to communicate.
  • Social workers – are professional practitioners who provide confidential counselling and support to students and their families around a range of issues.  These may include relationships, mental health difficulties, stress management, attendance issues, grief counselling and conflict resolution. They provide assistance for families/students at risk of harm (from self or from others) such as suicide, self-harm, child protection issues or risk of homelessness. Social work services can be accessed directly by families or students, or through a referral from school staff.
  • School chaplains – support the emotional wellbeing of students by providing pastoral care services and strategies that support the emotional wellbeing of the broader school community.

Where can I get more information?


Download the Print version of brochure

 Department of Education printable brochure

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.