You are viewing an archived copy of this website captured Wed Jun 14 15:06:30 AEST 2017
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

School Information Brochures for Parents


Support for Students with Carer Responsibilities


Did You Know?

The Department of Education recognises that many of its students may be caring for a family member or friend who has a long term illness, disability, mental illness, alcohol or other drug problem, or is frail aged.

One in 10 children in Australia has some level of responsibility as a carer in their home.

There is on average, two or three young carers in every classroom in Australia.

What do young carers do?

Every young carer's situation is different.

They do things like:

  • Shopping, cooking, cleaning
  • Paying bills
  • Heloing with showering and dressing
  • Giving medication
  • Providing emotional support


Support at School 

Young carers need to know that:

  • Help is available at your school
  • There are many other students like you
  • You don't have to manage on your own
  • It is important to care for yourself and ensure you stay fit and healthy
  • There are support services available

If you are a student carer, it is really important that you talk to your teacher or school social worker so that they are aware and can help you.

Staying at school is important and there are many ways your school can support you to stay at school whilst continuing your role as a carer.

​Many young carers say that they enjoy their caring role. However, we know that young carers who are not supported often face significant barriers to their own physical and mental health and wellbeing.


Where can you get more information?

  • Firstly, talk to your teacher or school social worker
  • Access the Support for Student Carers webpage at: 
  • This page provides information and links about how you can access assistance from school and the wide range of organisations available to you to seek support, advice or assistance.
  • Contact Carers Tasmania on freecall 1800 242 636, or view their website at
  • Centrelink is also available to assist financially through several student allowances – call Youth and Student Services on 13 24 90.

Download the Print version of brochure

 Support for students with Carer responsibilities

This page has been produced by the Department of Education.
Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to or telephone 1800 816 057.
You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.